A self-regulating capability that enables us to be aware of our individual state of being (e.g. thriving) and cues us, via our feelings, to the need to adjust or maintain a state of being.
Benefit: Operational Efficiency
If individuals on a team are tuned into both their individual states of being and the collective state of the group, then they can determine if they are in a state of health or dysfunction and make choices to stay or improve the collective experience and achieve higher quality outputs.
How to build team Attunement
- Create a shared learning experience (beyond education/training) on any of these topics:
- Micro-teaming or coaching
- With this shared knowledge agree as a team to the behaviors you would expect to see when these skills are occurring.
- Begin creating a safe space by allocating 10-20 minutes of each team meeting to discuss times when you and others saw the behaviors occurring and the impact. Also discuss critical times that the skills should have been used but weren’t and what supporting each other would look like to collectively use the skills to create the shared state that brings out everyone’s best.
- Encourage each person to reflect daily or at a minimum after each team meeting about their actions and self-regulation of their individual state of mind by giving them the following writing prompt. Reflection helps repattern the mind and generates as stronger awareness which can result in having different choices for action which strengthens self-regulation and opportunities for thriving more of the time.
- I noticed that my state of mind improved when I…
- The habitual thinking that pulls me away from supporting the collective state of thriving for this team is… (e.g. ‘we are not a team’, ‘the leader is not authentic’, ‘I’m not in the role that is using my strengths’)
- Other times that I have noticed how my state of mind impacts my experience of someone or a group are…
In time the collective work + the individual reflection will bring about a state of thriving more of the time and if fueled by the team leader will continue to foster psychological safety and the VIRTUOUS cycle continues!
We can’t wait to see how your team develops! Drop us a note at email@example.com and share your success!
Got 5 minutes?
We are building an assessment to measure attunement for individuals and teams. To contribute to our research on attunement please follow this link to complete the survey. All participants will be the first to receive the summary report of our findings.